Saturday, February 26, 2011

Warbreaker Book Review

Hello World,
So I am an avid reader... I think you might have figured taht out?!  Not sure though...
Any who this book was recomended to me by a friend who noticed that I hadn't been reading anything but non-fiction and research books as of late.  He thought it would be a good change of pace for a week.  LOL little did he know I would read the book in 2 days!!!  I don't just read I gobble books!
     So the book of the week for me is "Warbreaker" by Brandon Sanderson.  Its a dense fantasy novel (688 pages) in a very classic archetype story structure.  It had no major plot surprises for me or interesting character development.
     Sanderson is a pretty big author and has many published titles.  While I'm not a major fan of his I have read a few of his other books.  Most of his stories take place in the same world or universe.  and the thing I love the most about his writing is how rich the setting, scenery, history etc is.  I just wish he would put more of that richness into his characters.  I've felt more invested in characters from short stories then I did in this big book.
     Now the only surprise to me in this book was how he approached his concept of magic.  In this world "magic" is called breath and uses color and sound to gain strength and power.  While not all of the elements are unique they way they were put together and used was very interesting.
     For me "Warbreaker" is a 3 out of 5 stars.  Interesting soft piece of fantasy that I didn't mind reading but will not read again.  For the hard core fantasy lover I think they would enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment