Monday, February 21, 2011

Borders declares chapter 11!

Sad face for me.  I love books in fact I am most definatly a bibliophial!  The smell, the touch, the weight and presence that a book has.  You can smell the different types of inks and even the history of the book.  Was it well loved, was the person a foodie, or did it sit forgoten awaiting someone to charish its words within.  On February 16th when I heard that Borders was declaring bankrupcy my heart sank a little bit.  I love going to book stores and wandering around the shelves finding new treasures or being lost in the covers of a book.  For me Borders was the bookstore I go to in order to find some escape from this life.  (Yes yell at me and say support the local book store!  But there is only 1 in my area and its realy inconvenient and out of the way.  Plus I think it sort of stinks as a store,  ehhemm its called customer service.)  I do understand why the comapny is having issues.  They were not keeping up with changing trends in book sales as well as the fact that spending habits have changed and even less people are purchasing physical books.  I recently recieved an e-reader for x-mas.  It is an interesting device and I do plan on using it.  But it does signifigantly change how I aproch my reading and how I purchase books.  I only purchase and borrow books due to fact that becasue of an interesting lay of the land, county and city classifications I can't get a local library card unless I pay a pretty hefty fee.  So for me book stores are the only place for me to find new reading materials.  I wish them the best of luck in changing their business plan cause I realy do love books.  On top of which Borders slide into trouble represnts to me how thin of a line so many poeople are walking on in this economy. News article from NBC

No comments:

Post a Comment