Saturday, February 5, 2011

Costume Work and Research

Hello World,

So This week I spent most of my time creating and finishing costumes for the play I'm working on "As You Like It".  I've done quite a bit of costuming as of late.  I enjoy clothes and fashion so I don't mind doing the job.  The thing that drives me batty is how people seem to think it is only a female job and how its "Easy Right?!"  LOL if you have ever done any sewing at all especially with those wonderful expensive silks and satins you know it is anything but easy.  I almost started laughing hystaricaly when one of my male leads walks up with a wool frock coat that is about 6 sizes to big for him.  He wants to wear it in the show, we open on Friday!  Eeekk tailoring!!!  The costumes I made for my up coming show for  was probably the most difficult, creative and extensive costume work I have done to date.  I think the costumes look amazing.  There are several different saris, amazing dresses, tunics, pants, scarfs, crowns, beading and anything else you can imagine.  Its going to be a very colorful show.  I realy wanted to make sure that the imagination was imidiatly caught when the audience saw the characters.  We have a very unusual set design and we are asking our audience to take a leap into imagination with us.  I think everyone will be plesantly surprised by the work we've done in making sure that this production looks amazing.  I cant wait for full costume, tech, and prop rehearsal.  So make sure to mark your calendars for the production.

So besides creating costumes I've been doing some research on Shakespeare and the double meaning of his words within his plays.  I have an idea and I'm starting to research my refernces and such but I just had to share this book.  It's called "Filthy Shakespeare: Shakespeare's Most Outrages Sexual Puns" by Pauline Kiernan.  Its a fun break down of what words could possibly mean within the age of Will.  It deffinatly adult reading but oh so fun.  Well see what comes of this research...  I can't wait to start writing it!
Peace and Cookies!

1 comment: