Saturday, March 5, 2011

Oscar Micheaux an American Hero You Don't Know About

Hello World,
Thanks to a fav teacher for sharing these articles.  http://www.thesouthern.com/news/local/article_9ba52074-4229-11e0-ad3c-001cc4c002e0.html
http://www.thesouthern.com/news/local/article_d0a6179c-4229-11e0-a5ea-001cc4c002e0.html
I find it very interesting that so much of our history is unknown and that every class I am in, book I read, or article I find they allways seem to focus on the same subjects.  When I started reading these articles about Oscar Micheaux the first black film director I imdediatly feel back in love with this story.  I have a degree in Cinema and a large portion of my school work was devoted to theory and history of film.  Which I think is great.  I come to films with a completly different perspective then I did 5 years ago.  While taking these classes we very quickly went over Oscar's story and only the elements that had to do with his film carrer.  And I got to watch his film "Within Our Gates" for extra credit.   Honestly I don't remeber much about it besides the historical signifigance the film has.  The other 95% of the time in class we went over "Birth of a Nation."   If your into history, film and different perspectives and view point I recomend you watch both movies.  Film has become such a unique way to capture the spirt of a time.  Oscar is a great American icon, he helped change the art of film and making film a recognised art form.  He changed so much for cinema and paved the way for black, hispanic, female, and every other type of film maker out there.  Oscar goes down as one of my heroes.

Picture from bvnewswire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment