Friday, March 18, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau


Hello World,
So I think all of you have figured out by now that I like me some Sci-fi. When I saw advertisements for this a while back, I thought it was an interesting idea and I wanted to see it. For me this movie gets 3 out of 5 stars. Basically, “The Adjustment Bureau” is about David Norris (Matt Damon), who through circumstances has risen up in the world and is running for state senate. One fateful night he meets the love of his life, Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt). After another chance encounter, life starts to unravel very quickly for David. The “Bureau” begins creeping into his life, and the agents reveal themselves and it becomes obvious that they are changing his life to fit their plans. David then starts fighting for what he wants and the question is whether he will win or lose is his quest for love.
The movie and its plot have been done before, and it is based off of the short story “Adjustment Team” by Phillip Dick. It wasn’t a wholly new or original idea but I liked the way it was approached. I was interested and captivated by the movie and it tends to get you thinking about the small moments in your life -the “What If”. It wasn’t overly flashy, and for the viewer it was just simple fact that a man could open a door in the Museum of Modern Art and it just happened to lead to a door on Liberty Island. There were also biblical references, and I felt like the Adjusters and the Corporation were very veiled references to angels and God. It wasn’t over the top religion, and I didn’t feel like it was being crammed down my throat, so I was ok with it. There also seemed to be this strange subplot about hats, which I’m sure my friend Oliver would have loved. The one drawback was some plot holes but I liked the movie enough to let them slide. In summary, good movie, worth the watch, and it’s about amazing magical hats!
theadjustmentbureau.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment